Saturday, April 14, 1990
Call girl says sex case facts ignoredThe former call girl who turned in a Metro police officer for operating an escort service says investigators had no interest in finding out about two officers who also allegedly performed sex acts for money. Police Internal affairs investigators "never came back and questioned me about them," the 26 year-old woman told the Star in an interview.
Police Chief William McCormack has said repeatedly that the internal affairs investigation of other officers was "exhaustive" and found "no evidence" linking them to the escort service.
The escort agency, which advertised with the slogan "Pleasure can be yours," was jointly operated last fall by the woman and former constable Gord Junger out of a Scarborough townhouse.
When the investigation of Junger and the other officers began in early December, the woman says, she had call sheets for the escort agency containing the other officers names and their visits to customers.
"Not interested"In December and January, the woman turned over to police a number of audio tapes containing phone calls between her and Junger about the agency's operation. After numerous requests, she said, the tapes were returned. She wanted them as evidence for a possible paternity suit against Junger. She is seven month pregnant.
Internal affairs investigators were "not really" interested and never asked her for any evidence of the two officers alleged involvement in prostitution, the woman said Thursday. One of the two officers, who works with the force's intercommunity relations squad, telephoned the woman earlier this week, she says, and asked her if his name had surfaced yet in the sex scandal.
Last Saturday, The Star reported on the agency's operations and how Junger resigned from the force March 1, one day after drug possession charges against him were withdrawn in court. Hashish was found by police investigators on Dec. 5 in the townhouse that Junger was sharing with the former call girl.
Evidence in sex case ignored, woman saysMcCormack said in an interview this week that the drug charges were withdrawn because the key witness said she would recant her evidence at a trial.
The woman flatly denies this. She says she has never retracted the Dec. 7 signed statement given to police investigators about the drugs and has no plans to change her evidence. Until late February, "I was under the understanding that I was going to be appearing in court" to testify against Junger, the woman told The Star.
The charges were withdrawn Feb. 28. Junger agreed to resign from the force after he was promised no other charges would be laid, McCormack says.
Neither McCormack nor Ted Thompson, the director of the Toronto office of the justice department which was prosecuting the drug case, will reveal how they knew that the woman was going to retract her initial statement.
The woman says she would be willing to testify about the drugs if the police decide to re-lay the charges against Junger. The charges have been withdrawn, rather than formally dropped, which would have prevented them from being re-laid, McCormack confirmed last week.
Asked her feelings about the case, the woman replied, "I don't feel that justice has taken its course."
Less than 36 hours after she contacted police on Dec. 4, Junger was videotaped inside a Scarborough hotel room while he was paid $200 by an undercover policewoman during a police sting operation.
McCormack says Junger would have faced at least three charges under the Police Act if he had not resigned from the force.
|More about Junger...|
Created: April 1, 1998|
Last modified: April 2, 1998
Commercial Sex Information Service|
Box 3075, Vancouver, BC V6B 3X6
Tel: +1 (604) 488-0710