Thursday, May 16, 1991

Andrew Duffy

p. A2.

Constable offers sex for $200 in video seen at police probe

Constable Gordon Junger clasped his hands to his head and threatened to commit suicide after being caught in a police sting operation, a provincial inquiry has been told.

Junger was despondent after he was told that he was being arrested for living off the avails of prostitution. Detective Sergeant James Shannon yesterday told the inquiry into the Junger affair.

"I'm going to kill myself," Shannon quoted Junger as saying." "How could I be so stupid? It's all over."

Junger had just been videotaped in a Scarborough hotel room where he accepted $200 and promised to have sex with an undercover policewoman.

"I have to admit this is my first time at this"

Police had arranged the Dec. 4, 1989, sting operation as part of an ongoing investigation into allegations that Junger was operating an escort service with his girl-friend, Roma Langford.

A 15-minute videotape of the sting, recorded by internal affairs officers in an adjacent hotel room, was aired at the inquiry yesterday over the stern objection's of Junger's lawyer.

In the video, Junger and a female undercover officer, posing as an escort service client, chat amicably at a hotel room table, next to the queen-sized bed, while sipping white wine. After several minutes of small talk about Junger's dog -- a short-haired pointer -- and the wine, the conversation turns to "business."

"I have to admit this is my first time at this," the undercover woman admits. "I'm quite inexperienced myself," Junger replies. "So it's an all-new experience." The female officer then inquires about prices.

"Is there anything in particular you were interested in having me do, having done?" Junger asks to which she replies: "Just the regular, I assume."

"If we get involved in getting laid and that, its $250," Junger says. "Is there a time limit?" she asks. "With the massage and that, it will take an hour ," he says. "We'll say $200 for the hour and anything you want to do we'll basically do."

They go on to make more uncomfortable small talk, often prompting sniggers from those in attendance at yesterday's screening.

They discuss Junger's parents ("hard and fast German people"); the tendency of Toronto cabs to take circuitous routes; and the price and length of cigarettes.

Then the policewoman gives the money to Junger, who puts it in his wallet. "It sounds like fun," Junger is heard saying as he gets up from his chair.

Seconds later, the video blacks out as Shannon and his partner rush into the room and arrest Junger for living of the avails of prostitution.

Informed that police were about to execute a search warrant for hashish at the home of his girlfriend, Langford, Junger said: "I can't believe this is happening."

Langford, a high-priced call girl, had been living with Junger since March, 1989. Concerned that Junger was becoming "greedy" she went to Metro's internal affairs unit Dec. 4, 1989, and told Shannon about Junger's activities.

At Langford's Scarborough home, police found 5.64 grams (0.197 ounce) of hashish wrapped in tinfoil in the kitchen drawer. Asked where he purchased the drugs, Junger told Shannon the hash was given to him by another police officer at the Metro police ball. He refused to identify the officer. Shannon then told a "shocked" Junger it was Langford who had informed on him.

Junger was charged with possession of hashish and taken to the interview room in 42 Division. In the room, Junger, with tears in his eyes, asked Shannon "if there was any possible way not to lay the hash charge." Junger offered to resign that night. "I said I was sorry -- the charge had to be laid," Shannon testified.

Junger's girlfriend said the hash belonged to someone else

More than a week after the sting operation, Langford called the internal affairs office and told Shannon the hashish had in fact belonged to a football player who had put it into Junger's pocket.

Langford eventually recanted her original evidence in front of Junger's lawyer. But she later maintained that her original story was, in fact, the truth.

Junger signed a controversial resignation agreement with police on Jan. 19, 1990, which called for the police to destroy evidence relating to Junger's dealing with Langford and withdraw the drug charge against him.

Shannon testified yesterday that police have never destroyed any evidence in the case.

More about Junger... [Toronto '91] [News by region] [News by topic]

Created: April 6, 1998
Last modified: April 6, 1998

CSIS Commercial Sex Information Service
Box 3075, Vancouver, BC V6B 3X6
Tel: +1 (604) 488-0710