The Clients of Male Sex Workers in Canada
182. Badgley Committee (Committee on Sexual Offences against Children and Youth), Sexual Offences against Children, Ottawa, Department of Supply and Services, 1984, p. 1055.
183. Roy, E., Hayley, N., Boivin, J., Frappier, J., Claessens, C. and Lemire, N., Risk Factors for HIV Infection in Street Youth, paper presented to the XIth International Conference on AIDS, Vancouver, July 1996a.
184. Lowman, J., Atchison, C. and Fraser, L., Men Who Buy Sex, Phase 1 Report, Victoria, Ministry of the Attorney General B.C., 1996.
185. In 1993 London police arrested 37 men and youths under age 18, accusing all 37 of involvement in a child pornography ring. The reality was that only two of the 37 were involved in pornography. In the end, the other 35 were only accused of having sex with men.
186. CBC Ideas, Allen, M. (Producer), The Trials of London, Toronto, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 1994.
187. Badgley Committee (Committee on Sexual Offences against Children and Youth), Sexual Offences against Children, Ottawa, Department of Supply and Services, 1984.
188. Clark, L., "Boys Will Be Boys: Beyond the Badgley Report, A Critical Review," in Lowman, J., Jackson, M. A., Palys, T. S. and Gavigan, S., eds., Regulating Sex: An Anthology of Commentaries on the Findings and Recommendations of the Badgley and Fraser Reports, Vancouver, Simon Fraser University School of Criminology, 1986.
189. King, A. J. C., Beazley, R. P., Warren, W. K., Hankins, C. A., Robertson, A. S. and Radford, J. L., Canada Youth & AIDS Study, Kingston, Queen's University at Kingston, Social Program Evaluation Group, 1989, p. 115; see also Nelson, A. and Robinson, B. W., Gigolos and Madames Bountiful: Illusions of Gender Power and Intimacy, Toronto, University of Toronto Press, 1994.
190. Wong, S. K. H., Needs Assessment of Asian Sex Trade Workers in Toronto, Final Report, Toronto, Asian Community AIDS Services, 1995, p. 20.
191. See Badgley Committee (Committee on Sexual Offences against Children and Youth), Sexual Offences against Children, Ottawa, Department of Supply and Services, 1984, p. 102; see also Jackson, L., Highcrest, A. and Coates, R., "Varied Potential Risks of HIV Infection Among Prostitutes," Social Science and Medicine, 1992, 35, 3, pp. 281-86.; Miller, M. L., Strathdee, S. A., Martindale, S. L., Cornelisse, P. G. A., Hogg, R. S., Cook, D., Montaner, J. S. G., O'Shaughnessy, M. V. and Schechter, M. T., Characteristics of Male Sex Trade Workers Enrolled in a Prospective Study of HIV Incidence, paper presented to the Tenth Annual B.C. AIDS Conference, Vancouver, October 1997b.
192. Jackson, L. and Highcrest, A., "Female Prostitutes in North America: What Are Their Risks of HIV Infection?" in Sherr, L., Hankins, C. and Bennett, L., eds., AIDS as a Gender Issue: Psychosocial Perspectives, London, Taylor and Francis, 1996, cited in de Bruyn, T., HIV/AIDS and Discrimination: A Discussion Paper, Joint Project on Legal and Ethical Issues Raised by HIV/AIDS, Montreal, Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network, and Ottawa, Canadian AIDS Society, 1998, p. 62.
Created: February 5, 2000
Last modified: February 5, 2000
Box 3075, Vancouver, BC V6B 3X6