February 25, 1993 Meeting of
The Metropolitan Toronto Police Services Board
ITEMS #43A, B & C
RESPONSE TO THE ONTARIO CIVILIAN COMMISSION ON POLICING SERVICES (OCCPS), AND REVIEW OF EVIDENCE JUNGER/WHITEHEAD, and JUNGER/WHITEHEAD REVIEW OF DISCIPLINARY MATTERS
Susan Eng and Chief McCormack offered the following comments.
- We cannot rewrite history. We must take lessons from our past conduct.
- We must show an ability to discipline our own members and along those lines, we must find a way to garner public confidence.
- At present there is a new standard has been realized with the help of public forums. The new rules should ensure that there is no repeat of this situation.
- The Chief has investigated and reported back to the Board. All reports will be submitted to the OPC.
- From this point on, we must ensure that all internal investigations are thorough and fair.
- The Chief has decided on the appropriate discipline for those involved in this affair and the Board cannot question the sufficiency of the Chief's decisions.
- The Board is satisfied that all facts necessary for a decision have been brought forward. The Board has reviewed and discussed with the Chief the direction of the Force for the past, present and future.
- The Board is confident that the Chief will not repeat these mistakes and with the assistance of the Board, has implemented measures to prevent these mistakes from reoccurring.
- The Board sees a new era of accountability.
- We have found the initial investigation of this situation to have been conducted thoroughly but with mistakes.
- As Chief, I accept responsibility for all the mistakes.
- Throughout the Inquiry, the Force has been fully cooperative. Appropriate measures have been taken to prevent a repeat of this situation and appropriate discipline has been handed out. It is our position that the mistakes have been fully cured.
- The Force is willing to accept the direction and counselling of the Board at any time in relation to these matters.
- Not forgetting what has happened, we should get on with the police work of today.
Board Decision: Adopt report.
Agenda Items Attached: